I decided to make my own fabric softener the other day. I got the recipe and idea from One Good Thing by Jillie. However, I tweaked mine just a bit, since I have allergies to dust mites.
I got a 10.4oz bottle of Demite Laundry Additive, which is supposed to kill dust mites. I added 1/2 a cup of this to my fabric softener.
- ½ cup Downy's Un-Stoppables (or any scent booster)
- 1 cup of hot tap water
- 1 cup baking soda
- 6 cups distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup Demite laundry additive
- Add ½ cup of Downy's Un-Stoppables to one cup of hot tap water. Let this sit while you combine the other ingredients, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of baking soda to a large bowl. VERY SLOWLY add the 6 cups of vinegar. If you add the vinegar too fast, you will have a bubbly mess on your hands - so a little at a time, until the bubbly stops.
- Once all the vinegar is added, add in the ½ cup of Demite laundry additive, and stir until the baking soda is dissolved. This separates when left to sit, so you will need to store it in a container that is easy for you to quickly shake up before adding it to your washing machine.